Extrude Hone AFM offers expert abrasive flow machining in Kansas City MO for all your metal parts finishing needs
Do you need to remove burrs from the holes or passages in a metal part? If your needs are simple, manual polishing or electrochemical deburring might work. But the more complicated the shape of your part, and the more exacting the specifications for the interior geometry of the part, the less satisfactory these methods become.
The good news is, Extrude Hone AFM offers a service equal to the most complex needs:
Abrasive Flow Machining in Kansas City MO.
Abrasive flow machining in Kansas City MO works kind of like liquid sandpaper, utilizing an abrasive-laden polymer media to essentially erode away unwanted metal from the workpiece. This process offers several important advantages over other finishing methods:
- With the right abrasive grit and viscosity of polymer media, AFM can be used on any metal from titanium to aluminum
- AFM can reach even the most hidden holes, slots, and passages that would be inaccessible to other methods
- It provides roughing and finishing in one pass
- Tooling can be created to selectively direct flow to the areas or passages requiring improvement
- The process can be controlled with incredible precision to meet your exact specs
Uses for Abrasive Flow Machining in Kansas City MO
Thanks to the highly customizable nature of the process, abrasive flow machining in Kansas City MO has many different uses including:
- Radiussing: AFM can be used to generate continuous, true-edge radii ideal for jet engine discs and other aerospace applications.
- Surface Stress Relief: By polishing away EDM recast layers, potential sources of surface stress can be removed to reduce the likelihood of metal fatigue leading to parts or system failure.
- Polishing: Even the most complex shapes of metal parts and the most convoluted of internal passages can be smoothed evenly with abrasive flow machining in Kansas City MO. Our process is sensitive enough for even the most delicate honing, enhancing the finish without exceeding the blueprint specs.
- Geometry Optimization: AFM can be used as an aftermarket improvement on engine parts like manifolds, turbines, pumps, and hydraulic parts to optimize flow through the passages without affecting volume. AFM is also very useful for resizing precision dies.
- Deburring: Burrs of any size can alter flow or otherwise detract from highly precise processes. They are especially problematic for food and medical applications because they can harbor bacteria. With AFM, burrs can be removed without risk of damage or contamination to the passages in the part. The polymer media will carry them totally away.
Partner with Extrude Hone AFM Today
As an expert in abrasive flow machining in Kansas City MO, Extrude Hone AFM makes an excellent choice of partner for enhancing your metal parts. Call (562) 531-2976 or use our online contact form for a quote or more information.