Extrude Hone AFM offers expert abrasive flow machining in Chicago IL for all your metal parts finishing needs
When dealing with a relatively simple metal part, there may be many possible options for enhancing the finish and removing any small imperfections left behind by the manufacturing process. But the more complex your needs and the more exacting your specs, the smaller your field of options for finishing becomes.
Fortunately, you’ve found a process that can help at Extrude Hone AFM:
Abrasive Flow Machining in Chicago IL.
In abrasive flow machining in Chicago IL, a hydraulic ram is used to push an abrasive-laden polymer media through the workpiece. This results in controlled erosion of the surfaces that the media comes in contact with. This delivers many advantages for the finishing process:
- The process can be used on any metal including titanium, Iconel, copper, aluminum, bronze, and other alloys
- It reaches areas hand tools and line-of-sight methods cannot
- It provides roughing and finishing in one pass
- Tooling can be created to selectively direct flow to the areas or passages requiring improvement
- The process can be controlled with incredible precision to meet your exact specs
Uses for Abrasive Flow Machining in Chicago IL
With many different levels of abrasion available, abrasive flow machining in Chicago IL can be adapted to all kinds of metal finishing needs, such as:
- Radiussing: By providing a gentle, even, and continuous radiused edge, abrasive flow machining can enhance all kinds of parts, including aerospace parts like jet engine discs.
- Surface Stress Relief: Without proper finishing, EDM recast layers and other types of fatigue or stress points can lead to crack propagation and premature parts failure.
- Polishing: With abrasive flow machining in Chicago IL, every millimeter of the workpiece can be polished evenly to deliver the desired surface improvement.
- Geometry Optimization: The shape of interior passages in engines, turbines, pumps, and hydraulic parts has a big impact on performance. Abrasive flow machining can help smooth and shape passages to optimize fluid and gas behavior. Our process is also ideal for enhancing precision through passage dies.
- Deburring: Tiny burrs or imperfections in metal components can impede flow and introduce contamination into manufacturing processes. With abrasive flow machining, burrs can be removed without risk of damage or contamination to the passages in the part. The polymer media will carry them totally away.
Partner with Extrude Hone AFM Today
As an expert in abrasive flow machining in Chicago IL, Extrude Hone AFM makes an excellent choice of partner for enhancing your metal parts.Call us at (562) 531-2976 or use our online contact form for a quote or more information.