Extrude Hone AFM offers expert abrasive flow machining in Birmingham AL for all your metal parts finishing needs
Depending on the type of metal part in question and the type of finishing needed, you may have a variety of options. But the more complex your needs and the more exacting your specs, the smaller your field of options for finishing becomes.
Fortunately, you’ve found a process that can help at Extrude Hone AFM
Abrasive flow machining in Birmingham AL works kind of like liquid sandpaper, utilizing an abrasive-laden polymer media to essentially erode away unwanted metal from the workpiece. This delivers many advantages for the finishing process:
- The process can be used on any metal including titanium, Iconel, copper, aluminum, bronze, and other alloys
- AFM can reach even the most hidden holes, slots, and passages that would be inaccessible to other methods
- Both roughing and finishing can be completed in one process
- The entire workpiece need not be finished--we can direct flow selectively using the tooling
- We can control different variables in the process to meet your exact specs
Uses for Abrasive Flow Machining in Birmingham AL
Thanks to the highly customizable nature of the process, abrasive flow machining in Birmingham AL has many different uses including:
- Radiussing: By providing a gentle, even, and continuous radiused edge AFM can enhance all kinds of parts, including aerospace parts like jet engine discs.
- Surface Stress Relief: EDM recast layers can be removed to eliminate risk of failure on highly stressed components.
- Polishing: With abrasive flow machining in Birmingham AL, every millimeter of the workpiece can be polished evenly to deliver the desired surface improvement.
- Geometry Optimization: AFM can be used as an aftermarket improvement on engine parts like manifolds, turbines, pumps, and hydraulic parts to optimize flow through the passages without affecting volume. AFM is also very useful for resizing precision dies.
- Deburring: Burrs of any size can alter flow or otherwise detract from highly precise processes. They are especially problematic for food and medical applications because they can harbor bacteria. AFM provides a simple way to remove burrs and other imperfections, improving surface finishes by 90 percent with minimal dimensional change.
Partner with Extrude Hone AFM Today
If you have any metal parts that could benefit from abrasive flow machining in Birmingham AL, please contact us today to learn more about our process and get a quote on your job.