Extrude Hone AFM offers expert abrasive flow machining in Boston MA for all your metal parts finishing needs
Depending on the type of metal part in question and the type of finishing needed, you may have a variety of options. Unfortunately, traditional methods may not be equal to your needs on a more complex job. For example, manual polishing is extremely tedious and costly work, and isn’t effective on extremely convoluted passages.
The good news is, at Extrude Hone AFM we have the solution you need:
Abrasive Flow Machining in Boston MA.
Abrasive flow machining in Boston MA works kind of like liquid sandpaper, utilizing an abrasive-laden polymer media to essentially erode away unwanted metal from the workpiece. This process offers several important advantages over other finishing methods:
- The process can be used on any metal including titanium, Iconel, copper, aluminum, bronze, and other alloys
- AFM can reach even the most hidden holes, slots, and passages that would be inaccessible to other methods
- It provides roughing and finishing in one pass
- Tooling can be created to selectively direct flow to the areas or passages requiring improvement
- The process can be controlled with incredible precision to meet your exact specs
Uses for Abrasive Flow Machining in Boston MA
At Extrude Hone AFM, we have developed a huge variety of polymers for use in abrasive flow machining in Boston MA, from ultra-thick formulations to thin ones capable of flowing at nearly the speed of sound through very thin nozzles. This gives us the flexibility to provide all kinds of services including:
- Radiussing: Edges of discs and blades can be finished to a high standard to enhance strength and performance.
- Surface Stress Relief: By polishing away EDM recast layers, potential sources of surface stress can be removed to reduce the likelihood of metal fatigue leading to parts or system failure.
- Polishing: No matter how complex the shape of a part or passage, abrasive flow machining in Boston MA can be used to deliver a uniform surface improvement.
- Geometry Optimization: The shape of interior passages in engines, turbines, pumps, and hydraulic parts has a big impact on performance. Abrasive flow machining can help smooth and shape passages to optimize fluid and gas behavior. Undersized die passages can also be resized with a high degree of accuracy and precision with our process.
- Deburring: Tiny burrs or imperfections in metal components can impede flow and introduce contamination into manufacturing processes. Abrasive flow machining provides an easy way to remove burrs and improve surface finishes on even the most convoluted passages.
Partner with Extrude Hone AFM Today
Extrude Hone AFM is a 40-year industry veteran. We know abrasive flow machining in Boston MA and we are confident we can deliver the high quality improvements you need.Call us at (562) 531-2976 or contact us online to get a quote or to learn more about partnering with us.