Extrude Hone AFM offers expert abrasive flow machining in Chatsworth CA for all your metal parts finishing needs
When dealing with a relatively simple metal part, there may be many possible options for enhancing the finish and removing any small imperfections left behind by the manufacturing process. But the more complex your needs and the more exacting your specs, the smaller your field of options for finishing becomes.
Fortunately, you’ve found a process that can help at Extrude Hone AFM:
Abrasive Flow Machining in Chatsworth CA.
In abrasive flow machining in Chatsworth CA, a hydraulic ram is used to push an abrasive-laden polymer media through the workpiece. This results in controlled erosion of the surfaces that the media comes in contact with. This delivers many advantages for the finishing process:
- It can be used on any metal, from hardened, difficult-to-machine super alloys to soft metals like aluminum
- It reaches areas hand tools and line-of-sight methods cannot
- Both roughing and finishing can be completed in one process
- Tooling can be created to selectively direct flow to the areas or passages requiring improvement
- The process can be controlled with incredible precision to meet your exact specs
Uses for Abrasive Flow Machining in Chatsworth CA
By controlling different variables, we can easily adapt abrasive flow machining in Chatsworth CA to different uses such as:
- Radiussing: By providing a gentle, even, and continuous radiused edge AFM can enhance all kinds of parts, including aerospace parts like jet engine discs.
- Surface Stress Relief: By polishing away EDM recast layers, potential sources of surface stress can be removed to reduce the likelihood of metal fatigue leading to parts or system failure.
- Polishing: No matter how complex the shape of a part or passage, abrasive flow machining in Chatsworth CA can be used to deliver a uniform surface improvement.
- Geometry Optimization: AFM can be used as an aftermarket improvement on engine parts like manifolds, turbines, pumps, and hydraulic parts to optimize flow through the passages without affecting volume. AFM can also accurately adjust the size of precision dies while also enhancing their service life.
- Deburring: Even the tiniest metal burrs can interfere with the performance of a part, or even put human health at risk in the case of burr trapping bacteria in a food processing or medical component. With AFM, burrs can be removed without risk of damage or contamination to the passages in the part. The polymer media will carry them totally away.