Abrasive flow deburring in Columbus OH finishes metal parts to exact standards
When it comes to manufacturing metal parts, even the most precise methods can leave behind burrs or other imperfections that could impair the integrity of the part itself or the larger system in which it will be used.
Obviously, this needs to be fixed before you install the part. Manual deburring can only reach so far into a part and is hard to perform evenly. Electrochemical deburring can reach further, but is not suitable for all metals. Abrasive flow deburring in Columbus OH provides an incredibly beneficial alternative. It can:
- Remove burrs from any internal or external surface with a non-reactive media
- Polish complex arrays of cross-drilled and intersecting holes with ease
- Work on any type of metal such as titanium, Iconel, aluminum, copper, bronze, etc.
- Perform roughing and finishing in one pass
- Remove material uniformly without altering the geometry of the part
How does this all work?
Abrasive flow deburring in Columbus OH is kind of like using liquid sandpaper. We load a polymer media with abrasive grit and then use a specially made “tool” or holder to direct the flow of this material to the specific passages or surfaces needing attention. Because the media is under pressure, it expands to fill the passages entirely, resulting in an extremely uniform finish. The speed of the process and how much metal is removed on each pass depends on:
- Media viscosity
- Abrasive particle size and concentration
- Media flow rate, pressure, and temperature
Now you might wonder: What are some ideal applications for abrasive flow deburring in Columbus OH?
Well, due to the highly customizable nature of the process, which can be controlled to aggressively remove material or deliver the finest surface honing, the potential applications of abrasive flow deburring in Columbus OH are virtually infinite. But there are some industries where it is used more often. For example, Extrude Hone AFM frequently does work for:
- Aerospace: Abrasive flow deburring in Columbus OH can enhance aerospace applications in many ways, from improving airfoil surface conditions to creating true radius edges to reducing mechanical fatigue around holes.
- Automotive Engines: Extrude Hone AFM pioneered the process of abrasive flow deburring for automotive engines. By uniformly smoothing and polishing the interior passages of parts like intake manifolds, abrasive flow deburring in Columbus OH can increase air and fuel flow through the engine, thus increasing horsepower, thrust, torque, and
- Food Processing Equipment: All the surfaces that food comes into contact with during processing need to be clean and smooth. If you have burrs, you could easily end up with contamination from bacteria or even from tiny bits of metal if the burrs break off during processing. Hundreds of companies have benefited from Extrude Hone AFM’s Ultra Pure deburring process, which can remove both burrs and cavities to ensure quality results from all kinds of food processing equipment.