Extrude Hone AFM offers expert abrasive flow machining in El Segundo CA for all your metal parts finishing needs
Depending on the type of metal part in question and the type of finishing needed, you may have a variety of options. Unfortunately, traditional methods may not be equal to your needs on a more complex job. For example, manual polishing is extremely tedious and costly work, and isn’t effective on extremely convoluted passages.
The good news is, Extrude Hone AFM offers a service equal to the most complex needs:
Abrasive Flow Machining in El Segundo CA.
Abrasive flow machining in El Segundo CA works kind of like liquid sandpaper, utilizing an abrasive-laden polymer media to essentially erode away unwanted metal from the workpiece. This process offers several important advantages over other finishing methods:
- The process can be used on any metal including titanium, Iconel, copper, aluminum, bronze, and other alloys
- AFM can reach even the most hidden holes, slots, and passages that would be inaccessible to other methods
- It provides roughing and finishing in one pass
- You can finish multiple passages at once or direct flow to one passage at a time using the appropriate tooling
- The process can be tailored to provide aggressive removal or delicate honing to your exact specs
Uses for Abrasive Flow Machining in El Segundo CA
The customizable nature of abrasive flow machining in El Segundo CA lends itself well to a variety of applications across different industries. Some the most common uses for AFM include:
- Radiussing: Edges of discs and blades can be finished to a high standard to enhance strength and performance.
- Surface Stress Relief: By polishing away EDM recast layers, potential sources of surface stress can be removed to reduce the likelihood of metal fatigue leading to parts or system failure.
- Polishing: No matter how complex the shape of a part or passage, abrasive flow machining in El Segundo CA can be used to deliver a uniform surface improvement.
- Geometry Optimization: By using AFM to smooth and shape passages, air, gas, or liquid behavior can be improved for reduced cavitation and enhanced performance in engines, turbines, pumps, and hydraulic parts. AFM is also very useful for resizing precision dies.
- Deburring: Even the tiniest metal burrs can interfere with the performance of a part, or even put human health at risk in the case of burr trapping bacteria in a food processing or medical component. AFM provides a simple way to remove burrs and other imperfections, improving surface finishes by 90 percent with minimal dimensional change.
Partner with Extrude Hone AFM Today
If you have any metal parts that could benefit from abrasive flow machining in El Segundo CA, please contact us today to learn more about our process and get a quote on your job.