Extrude Hone AFM offers expert abrasive flow machining in Kansas City KS for all your metal parts finishing needs
Whether you are producing metal parts yourself by casting, laser sintering, EDM, or conventional machining, or working with aftermarket parts, chances are you are going to need some surface improvements to remove imperfections. For simple applications, such as large holes or simple passages, manual polishing or electrochemical deburring might be sufficient. But, if your needs are more complex, you may be looking for a different solution that can meet your strict specifications.
Fortunately, at Extrude Hone AFM we have the solution you need:
Abrasive Flow Machining in Kansas City KS.
In abrasive flow machining in Kansas City KS, a hydraulic ram is used to push an abrasive-laden polymer media through the workpiece. This results in controlled erosion of the surfaces that the media comes in contact with. This process offers several important advantages over other finishing methods:
- With the right abrasive grit and viscosity of polymer media, AFM can be used on any metal from titanium to aluminum
- AFM can reach even the most hidden holes, slots, and passages that would be inaccessible to other methods
- Both roughing and finishing can be completed in one process
- Tooling can be created to selectively direct flow to the areas or passages requiring improvement
- We can control different variables in the process to meet your exact specs
Uses for Abrasive Flow Machining in Kansas City KS
Thanks to the highly customizable nature of the process, abrasive flow machining in Kansas City KS has many different uses including:
- Radiussing Edges of discs and blades can be finished to a high standard to enhance strength and performance.
- Surface Stress Relief: By polishing away EDM recast layers, potential sources of surface stress can be removed to reduce the likelihood of metal fatigue leading to parts or system failure.
- Polishing: With abrasive flow machining in Kansas City KS, every millimeter of the workpiece can be polished evenly to deliver the desired surface improvement.
- Geometry Optimization: AFM can be used as an aftermarket improvement on engine parts like manifolds, turbines, pumps, and hydraulic parts to optimize flow through the passages without affecting volume. AFM can also accurately adjust the size of precision dies while also enhancing their service life.
- Deburring: Burrs of any size can alter flow or otherwise detract from highly precise processes. They are especially problematic for food and medical applications because they can harbor bacteria. With AFM, burrs can be removed without risk of damage or contamination to the passages in the part. The polymer media will carry them totally away.
Partner with Extrude Hone AFM Today
If you have any metal parts that could benefit from abrasive flow machining in Kansas City KS, please contact us today to learn more about our process and get a quote on your job.