Extrude Hone AFM offers expert abrasive flow machining in Los Angeles CA for all your metal parts finishing needs
Most metal parts will need additional finishing after production, to remove imperfections left behind by casting, laser sintering, EDM, or conventional machining. For simple shapes, there may be many finishing options available. But the more complex your needs and the more exacting your specs, the smaller your field of options for finishing becomes.
Lucky for you, Extrude Hone AFM offers a service equal to the most complex needs:
Abrasive Flow Machining in Los Angeles CA.
Abrasive flow machining in Los Angeles CA works kind of like liquid sandpaper, utilizing an abrasive-laden polymer media to essentially erode away unwanted metal from the workpiece. This process offers several important advantages over other finishing methods:
- With the right abrasive grit and viscosity of polymer media, AFM can be used on any metal from titanium to aluminum
- It reaches areas hand tools and line-of-sight methods cannot
- It provides roughing and finishing in one pass
- You can finish multiple passages at once or direct flow to one passage at a time using the appropriate tooling
- The process can be tailored to provide aggressive removal or delicate honing to your exact specs
Uses for Abrasive Flow Machining in Los Angeles CA
By controlling different variables, we can easily adapt abrasive flow machining in Los Angeles CA to different uses such as:
- Radiussing: AFM can be used to generate continuous, true-edge radii ideal for jet engine discs and other aerospace applications.
- Surface Stress Relief: EDM recast layers can be removed to eliminate risk of failure on highly stressed components.
- Polishing: Even the most complex shapes of metal parts and the most convoluted of internal passages can be smoothed evenly with abrasive flow machining in Los Angeles CA. Our process is sensitive enough for even the most delicate honing, enhancing the finish without exceeding the blueprint specs.
- Geometry Optimization: AFM can be used as an aftermarket improvement on engine parts like manifolds, turbines, pumps, and hydraulic parts to optimize flow through the passages without affecting volume. AFM is also very useful for resizing precision dies.
- Deburring: Even the tiniest metal burrs can interfere with the performance of a part, or even put human health at risk in the case of burr trapping bacteria in a food processing or medical component. AFM provides a simple way to remove burrs and other imperfections, improving surface finishes by 90 percent with minimal dimensional change.
Partner with Extrude Hone AFM Today
Extrude Hone AFM is a 40-year industry veteran. We know abrasive flow machining in Los Angeles CA and we are confident we can deliver the high quality improvements you need. Call us at (562) 531-2976 or contact us online to get a quote or to learn more about partnering with us.