Extrude Hone AFM offers expert abrasive flow machining in Orange CA for all your metal parts finishing needs
Most metal parts will need additional finishing after production, to remove imperfections left behind by casting, laser sintering, EDM, or conventional machining. For simple shapes, there may be many finishing options available. Unfortunately, traditional methods may not be equal to your needs on a more complex job. For example, manual polishing is extremely tedious and costly work, and isn’t effective on extremely convoluted passages.
The good news is, at Extrude Hone AFM we have the solution you need:
Abrasive Flow Machining in Orange CA.
Abrasive flow machining in Orange CA utilizes specially formulated polymer media to suspend abrasive grit and deliver it evenly to every corner of the workpiece being finished. This process offers several important advantages over other finishing methods:
- It can be used on any metal, from hardened, difficult-to-machine super alloys to soft metals like aluminum
- It reaches areas hand tools and line-of-sight methods cannot
- Both roughing and finishing can be completed in one process
- The entire workpiece need not be finished--we can direct flow selectively using the tooling
- We can control different variables in the process to meet your exact specs
Uses for Abrasive Flow Machining in Orange CA
Thanks to the highly customizable nature of the process, abrasive flow machining in Orange CA has many different uses including:
- Radiussing: AFM can be used to generate continuous, true-edge radii ideal for jet engine discs and other aerospace applications.
- Surface Stress Relief: By polishing away EDM recast layers, potential sources of surface stress can be removed to reduce the likelihood of metal fatigue leading to parts or system failure.
- Polishing: Even the most complex shapes of metal parts and the most convoluted of internal passages can be smoothed evenly with abrasive flow machining in Orange CA. Our process is sensitive enough for even the most delicate honing, enhancing the finish without exceeding the blueprint specs.
- Geometry Optimization: AFM can be used as an aftermarket improvement on engine parts like manifolds, turbines, pumps, and hydraulic parts to optimize flow through the passages without affecting volume. AFM is also very useful for resizing precision dies.
- Deburring: Even the tiniest metal burrs can interfere with the performance of a part, or even put human health at risk in the case of burr trapping bacteria in a food processing or medical component. AFM provides a simple way to remove burrs and other imperfections, improving surface finishes by 90 percent with minimal dimensional change.
Partner with Extrude Hone AFM Today
Extrude Hone AFM is a 40-year industry veteran. We know abrasive flow machining in Orange CA and we are confident we can deliver the high quality improvements you need. Call us at (562) 531-2976 or contact us online to get a quote or to learn more about partnering with us.