Extrude Hone AFM offers expert abrasive flow machining in Phoenix AZ for all your metal parts finishing needs
Depending on the type of metal part in question and the type of finishing needed, you may have a variety of options. But the more complex your needs and the more exacting your specs, the smaller your field of options for finishing becomes.
The good news is, you’ve found a process that can help at Extrude Hone AFM:
Abrasive Flow Machining in Phoenix AZ.
In abrasive flow machining in Phoenix AZ, a hydraulic ram is used to push an abrasive-laden polymer media through the workpiece. This results in controlled erosion of the surfaces that the media comes in contact with. This delivers many advantages for the finishing process:
- With the right abrasive grit and viscosity of polymer media, AFM can be used on any metal from titanium to aluminum
- AFM can reach even the most hidden holes, slots, and passages that would be inaccessible to other methods
- It provides roughing and finishing in one pass
- Tooling can be created to selectively direct flow to the areas or passages requiring improvement
- We can control different variables in the process to meet your exact specs
Uses for Abrasive Flow Machining in Phoenix AZ
Thanks to the highly customizable nature of the process, abrasive flow machining in Phoenix AZ has many different uses including:
- Radiussing: By providing a gentle, even, and continuous radiused edge AFM can enhance all kinds of parts, including aerospace parts like jet engine discs.
- Surface Stress Relief: EDM recast layers can be removed to eliminate risk of failure on highly stressed components.
- Polishing: With abrasive flow machining in Phoenix AZ, every millimeter of the workpiece can be polished evenly to deliver the desired surface improvement.
- Geometry Optimization: AFM can be used as an aftermarket improvement on engine parts like manifolds, turbines, pumps, and hydraulic parts to optimize flow through the passages without affecting volume. AFM is also very useful for resizing precision dies.
- Deburring: Burrs of any size can alter flow or otherwise detract from highly precise processes. They are especially problematic for food and medical applications because they can harbor bacteria. AFM provides a simple way to remove burrs and other imperfections, improving surface finishes by 90 percent with minimal dimensional change.