Use abrasive flow deburring in Pittsburgh PA to get exacting standards on finishing metal parts
Metal products created by EDM, laser sintering, casting, or conventional machining will require some type of finishing to remove burrs and other imperfections left by the manufacturing process. While there are a variety of different deburring technologies available for this purpose, only abrasive flow deburring in Pittsburgh PA can:
- Remove burrs from any internal or external surface with a non-reactive media
- Polish complex arrays of cross-drilled and intersecting holes with ease
- Work on any type of metal such as titanium, Iconel, aluminum, copper, bronze, etc.
- Perform roughing and finishing in one pass
- Remove material uniformly without altering the geometry of the part
How can all this be done?
Abrasive flow deburring in Pittsburgh PA works on the same principle as a river eroding rock, but in a precisely controlled manner. The first step is to identify the passages or surfaces to be deburred and then create a tool that will direct the flow to these areas. Then, we select an appropriate size of abrasive grit and viscosity of polymer media to carry it. As we force the material through the workpiece using a hydraulic ram, it makes contact with every millimeter of the surface to be deburred, resulting in very uniform removal of material. Our expert staff understands exactly how to control this process by creating the right set of parameters for the job, based on:
- Type of metal
- Media viscosity
- Abrasive particle size and concentration
- Media flow rate, pressure, and temperature
Now you might wonder…What are some ideal applications for abrasive flow deburring in Pittsburgh PA?
Because it can be controlled so precisely, abrasive flow deburring in Pittsburgh PA is ideal for any application where internal passages, slots, or holes need to be smoothed. However, it is especially useful for:
- Aerospace: When it comes to aerospace applications, precision is of the utmost importance. It makes sense to continue to use abrasive flow deburring in Pittsburgh PA to finish all kinds of aerospace parts, as this highly precise method was actually invented for aerospace in the first place.
- Automotive Engines: Extrude Hone AFM discovered the benefits of abrasive flow deburring in Pittsburgh PA to improve the efficiency and performance of combustion engines, and today our process is routinely used by major manufacturers like Ford and Cadillac. The most commonly deburred automotive part is the intake manifold. By smoothing all the internal passages in the manifold, our process can improve the efficiency of combustion and reduce emissions.
- Food Processing Equipment: There are two main problems that burrs present in equipment used to process food: contamination from bacteria trapped on and around the rough burrs, and contamination from the burrs themselves breaking off and mixing with the food product. Extrude Hone AFM’s Ultra Pure deburring process, designed specifically for the food processing industry, can render surfaces so smooth these problems will be a distant memory.