Our abrasive flow deburring in San Diego CA can finish metal parts to the most exacting standards
Metal products created by EDM, laser sintering, casting, or conventional machining will require some type of finishing to remove burrs and other imperfections left by the manufacturing process. When manual deburring or electrochemical deburring isn’t enough, turn to Extrude Hone AFM for abrasive flow deburring in San Diego CA. This process can:
- Remove burrs from any internal or external edge, slot, hole, or passage with a chemically inert media
- polish complex arrays of cross-drilled and intersecting holes with ease
- Work on any type of metal such as titanium, Iconel, aluminum, copper, bronze, etc.
- Perform roughing and finishing in the same pass
- Deliver highly precise and repeatable results
How does it achieve all this?
Abrasive flow deburring in San Diego CA works on the same principle as a river eroding rock, but in a precisely controlled manner. The first step is to identify the passages or surfaces to be deburred and then create a tool that will direct the flow to these areas. Then, we select an appropriate size of abrasive grit and viscosity of polymer media to carry it. As we force the material through the workpiece using a hydraulic ram, it makes contact with every millimeter of the surface to be deburred, resulting in very uniform removal of material. The speed of the process and how much metal is removed on each pass depends on:
- Type of metal
- Media viscosity
- Abrasive particle size and concentration
- Media flow rate, pressure, and temperature
Now you might wonder…
What are some ideal applications for abrasive flow deburring in San Diego CA?
Because it can be controlled so precisely, abrasive flow deburring in San Diego CA is ideal for any application where internal passages, slots, or holes need to be smoothed. However, it is most commonly used for:
- Aerospace: When it comes to aerospace applications, precision is of the utmost importance. It makes sense to continue to use abrasive flow deburring in San Diego CA to finish all kinds of aerospace parts, as this highly precise method was actually invented for aerospace in the first place.
- Automotive Engines: Extrude Hone AFM pioneered the process of abrasive flow deburring for automotive engines. By uniformly smoothing and polishing the interior passages of parts like intake manifolds, abrasive flow deburring in San Diego CA can increase air and fuel flow through the engine, thus increasing horsepower, thrust, torque, and efficiency.
- Food Processing Equipment: Burrs can contaminate food products with metal if they snap off during processing. They can also trap food particles long enough for them to spoil, introducing bacteria into the product. Extrude Hone AFM’s Ultra Pure deburring process, designed specifically for the food processing industry, can render surfaces so smooth these problems will be a distant memory.
Call Now to Learn More
Whether you need a way to put the finishing touches on parts made by your company, or you want to make some aftermarket improvements to your engine parts, Extrude Hone AFM is here to help. To get a quote, please contact us online or dial (562) 531-2976.