Our abrasive flow deburring in Irvine CA can finish metal parts to the most exacting standards
Metal products created by EDM, laser sintering, casting, or conventional machining will require some type of finishing to remove burrs and other imperfections left by the manufacturing process. When manual deburring or electrochemical deburring isn’t enough, turn to Extrude Hone AFM for abrasive flow deburring in Irvine CA. This process can:
- Reach any internal or external surface with a non-reactive media
- Handle complex arrays of cross-drilled and intersecting holes with ease
- Work on any type of metal such as titanium, Iconel, aluminum, copper, bronze, etc.
- Provide roughing and finishing in the same pass
- Remove material uniformly without altering the geometry of the part
How does it achieve all this?
Abrasive flow deburring in Irvine CA works on the same principle as a river eroding rock, but in a precisely controlled manner. The first step is to identify the passages or surfaces to be deburred and then create a tool that will direct the flow to these areas. Then, we select an appropriate size of abrasive grit and viscosity of polymer media to carry it. As we force the material through the workpiece using a hydraulic ram, it makes contact with every millimeter of the surface to be deburred, resulting in very uniform removal of material. The rate at which metal is removed from the workpiece depends on:
- Type of metal
- Media viscosity
- Abrasive particle size and concentration
- Media flow rate, pressure, and temperature
Now you might wonder…
What are some ideal applications for abrasive flow deburring in Irvine CA?
Abrasive flow deburring in Irvine CA can be customized to the exact specs of just about any project, whether you require aggressive surface removal or just bit of honing. However, it is most commonly used for:
- Aerospace: When it comes to aerospace applications, precision is of the utmost importance. It makes sense to continue to use abrasive flow deburring in Irvine CA to finish all kinds of aerospace parts, as this highly precise method was actually invented for aerospace in the first place.
- Automotive Engines: Whether it is air or fuel flowing through the passages in an engine part, any turbulence is going to decrease efficiency. Using abrasive flow deburring in Irvine CA, we can reduce turbulence and increase flow up to 25 percent. This in turn encourages more complete combustion for better fuel efficiency, power, and performance.
- Food Processing Equipment: There are two main problems that burrs present in equipment used to process food: contamination from bacteria trapped on and around the rough burrs, and contamination from the burrs themselves breaking off and mixing with the food product. Extrude Hone AFM’s Ultra Pure deburring process, designed specifically for the food processing industry, can render surfaces so smooth these problems will be a distant memory.
Call Now to Learn More
Extrude Hone AFM can assist with deburring projects of all sizes, whether you have one part for your muscle car or a thousand parts for your business. Call us at (562) 531-2976 to learn more.