Extrude Hone AFM offers expert abrasive flow machining in Irvine CA for all your metal parts finishing needs
When dealing with a relatively simple metal part, there may be many possible options for enhancing the finish and removing any small imperfections left behind by the manufacturing process. But the more complex your needs and the more exacting your specs, the smaller your field of options for finishing becomes.
Fortunately, you’ve found a process that can help at Extrude Hone AFM:
Abrasive Flow Machining in Irvine CA.
In abrasive flow machining in Irvine CA, a hydraulic ram is used to push an abrasive-laden polymer media through the workpiece. This results in controlled erosion of the surfaces that the media comes in contact with. This delivers many advantages for the finishing process:
- It can be used on any metal, from hardened, difficult-to-machine super alloys to soft metals like aluminum
- Hidden slots, convoluted passages, and cross drilled holes can all be finished with ease
- Both roughing and finishing can be completed in one process
- Tooling can be created to selectively direct flow to the areas or passages requiring improvement
- The process can be controlled with incredible precision to meet your exact specs
Uses for Abrasive Flow Machining in Irvine CA
By controlling different variables, we can easily adapt abrasive flow machining in Irvine CA to different uses such as:
- Radiussing: AFM can be used to generate continuous, true-edge radii ideal for jet engine discs and other aerospace applications.
- Surface Stress Relief: Without proper finishing, EDM recast layers and other types of fatigue or stress points can lead to crack propagation and premature parts failure.
- Polishing: No matter how complex the shape of a part or passage, abrasive flow machining in Irvine CA can be used to deliver a uniform surface improvement.
- Geometry Optimization: AFM can be used as an aftermarket improvement on engine parts like manifolds, turbines, pumps, and hydraulic parts to optimize flow through the passages without affecting volume. AFM is also very useful for resizing precision dies.
- Deburring: Burrs of any size can alter flow or otherwise detract from highly precise processes. They are especially problematic for food and medical applications because they can harbor bacteria. With AFM, burrs can be removed without risk of damage or contamination to the passages in the part. The polymer media will carry them totally away.
Partner with Extrude Hone AFM Today
If you have any metal parts that could benefit from abrasive flow machining in Irvine CA, please contact us today to learn more about our process and get a quote on your job.