Extrude Hone AFM offers expert abrasive flow machining in Nashville TN for all your metal parts finishing needs
Most metal parts will need additional finishing after production, to remove imperfections left behind by casting, laser sintering, EDM, or conventional machining. For simple shapes, there may be many finishing options available. But the more complex the part--and the higher the level at which it will be expected to perform--the more difficult proper finishing becomes.
Fortunately, you’ve found a process that can help at Extrude Hone AFM
Abrasive flow machining in Nashville TN works kind of like liquid sandpaper, utilizing an abrasive-laden polymer media to essentially erode away unwanted metal from the workpiece. This delivers many advantages for the finishing process:
- The process can be used on any metal including titanium, Iconel, copper, aluminum, bronze, and other alloys
- AFM can reach even the most hidden holes, slots, and passages that would be inaccessible to other methods
- Both roughing and finishing can be completed in one process
- The entire workpiece need not be finished--we can direct flow selectively using the tooling
- We can control different variables in the process to meet your exact specs
Uses for Abrasive Flow Machining in Nashville TN
Thanks to the highly customizable nature of the process, abrasive flow machining in Nashville TN has many different uses including:
- Radiussing: By providing a gentle, even, and continuous radiused edge AFM can enhance all kinds of parts, including aerospace parts like jet engine discs.
- Surface Stress Relief: Without proper finishing, EDM recast layers and other types of fatigue or stress points can lead to crack propagation and premature parts failure.
- Polishing: No matter how complex the shape of a part or passage, abrasive flow machining in Nashville TN can be used to deliver a uniform surface improvement.
- Geometry Optimization: By using AFM to smooth and shape passages, air, gas, or liquid behavior can be improved for reduced cavitation and enhanced performance in engines, turbines, pumps, and hydraulic parts. AFM is also very useful for resizing precision dies.
- Deburring: Even the tiniest metal burrs can interfere with the performance of a part, or even put human health at risk in the case of burr trapping bacteria in a food processing or medical component. AFM provides a simple way to remove burrs and other imperfections, improving surface finishes by 90 percent with minimal dimensional change.
Partner with Extrude Hone AFM Today
If you have any metal parts that could benefit from abrasive flow machining in Nashville TN, please contact us today to learn more about our process and get a quote on your job.